St. George's Indian Band

Traditional Sites

Seal Rocks, 2007

“Seal Rocks” was established in 1804 as the first Treaty/Based permanent settlement of Mi’kmaq on the island.

“Seal Rocks” located on Newfoundland’s West Coast is the oldest of three settlements that now make up what is known as the Town of St. George’s.  It has been well documented as the largest and principle Mi’kmaq settlement on the island of Newfoundland in the 17 and 1800's.  Accounts by James Cook, J.B. Jukes, Lt. Edward Chappell, Archdeacon Edward Wix, Rev. Henry Lind, William Epps Cormack, Frank Speck and John James Audubon all lend their testimony to this fact.

“Seal Rocks” was established in 1804 as the first Treaty/Based permanent settlement of Mi’kmaq on the island, as this was the site for the first post 1750 settlement that the governor of Nova Scotia sought as a place to re-settle/permanently settle Mi’kmaq from Cape Breton.  The Town of St. George’s, now made up of three settlements got its’ start simply as three buildings:  a church, a priest’s house and a convent once known as the St. George’s Mission.  The name St. George’s went on to encompass the area that was once known as “Seal Rocks”.   As a result the historic Mi’kmaq settlement at “Seal Rocks” has practically been erased from the maps but it will never be erased from the minds and the hearts of the Mi’kmaq descendants who still reside in the Town of St. George’s today and many others who have since moved to other communities throughout the island of Newfoundland.   Seal Rocks Hill located in the Mi’kmaq village of “Seal Rocks” is still the site where the Mi’kmaq descendants annually hold their Sunrise Ceremony as part of Aboriginal Day Celebrations.

“Seal Rocks” was known as “Indian Town” by the Europeans and “Anse aux Sauvages” by the French.  French Archives: Plate #11: 1889,